Monday, 17 June 2013

Dinner date

Dinner is a meal which in many peoples life is the last meal for the day or the beginning of many small meals through the night .In some lives dinners make 'a professional deal' for them ,in some they are 'a sharing of the days' events.Dinners bring the family together after a long and hard day.Dinners are elaborate in some families,in some it many be just a morsel of rice shared between the members of the family.For a college student it may be a MacDonald s takeaway,for the new bride it may be candle light dinner with her husband.
The time we have dinner may be different in different countries..in different places,different 
situations....but we all know that 'we don't attend to phone calls after we have started to eat(same in all families work can wait,boyfriends can wait,friends can wait)when the lady of the house gives you that look (which is "im going to burn you with this stare if you don't eat what i have cooked and thank me after")all calls can wait.
Dinners  in my life,
I have had dinners with my family,friends,neighbors,boyfriends,co travellers,in busy street filled with people.Sadly with never  just myself.
when i told friends i would dine alone,they thought i was sad...they said why don't you go on a date? whatever they said it didn't make sense to me..i may have had dinner with unknown people on a train..never seeing them again in my life.i have lived with myself for 22 years let me enjoy a meal with me.
so last thursday(the day i picked to have a date with me)i walked into the restaurant with my drippy umbrella ,a book,money and my phone.
i had decided to keep away from my phone(its after all a dinner "the lady of the house rule "applies here as well)i picked a table near a big french window as i could see the whole restaurant from my seat and the life outside that window, so if this got really boring I could look out.
I sat down and even before i removed my coat..the captain walks over to my table,asks me The question"will anyone be joining you?''I said ''no''.The look on the guys face was "a rule breaking "one.He quietly cleared the table space infront of the other chair on my table.
I looked out the window to find a group of college students walking up to the restaurant. Now i knew i will get  few more of those looks.I began to wonder is it so not common  to have a dinner in a restaurant alone.
I wanted a clear wanton soup and some fried rice,I placed my order...the wait was obviously long. I had a urge to check my cellphone to see if anyone cared to call me. Let me atleast be entertained. But then I thought can I not sit without my phone for jus two hours? Feels like a tough question .. I think I can.
There was a cricket match going on.India and Pakistan were the teams I feel that's why the restaurant was not running so full.I sat  in my all "seeing table "and read a book.Eventually the dinner arrived, I still had my book and I read all through dinner( i know its bad to read a book while eating but i was atleast not cursing my someone on the phone)i glimpsed around for some funny attics of the college students,they were abt 5 in number. They kept looking at me,probably they thought I broke up with my boyfriend or something on the same lines. I sat in that restaurant for about two hours.They had been chatting and looking towards me( didn't bother me never gonna see them again).
The food was really good,(I could order what I wanted atleast) the college students didn't matter to me anymore..I achieved to sit without a phone for 2 hours and that was an achievement in itself(many people cannot do that today).
This simple meal changed many things,I realised I could sit without getting bored and enjoy a meal,I didn't bother what people around me thought,I got what I wanted. Surprisingly, after the meal..I felt very pleased and calm.I walked all the way back home feeling extremely happy after this experience.

Life has so much to offer,I see it in small things around me a simple meal,a beautiful conversation with an old women with 5 kids to feed,the wonderful Bangalore weather,the growing process of my seedlings,the art of writing,just trying to write  and read Kannada again(which I learnt in school ,which I have forgotten now) playing with my neighbors son till we fall asleep.All  these are little things that from my life for me .Looking  out of the box is all it takes! We need to find a lot of boxes to look out of .. Readers start looking!

2 comments:

  1. wow ! Did not know you were into blogging and writing. Loved this post ! Yes, we need to think differently. That makes all the difference :) Here's to many more dinner dates with yourself and for us too :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. Vish - well written and well articulated, i really like the context. I totally do relate to it and feel one should have free time for lunch/dinner once in a while with self.

    ReplyDelete